Green Initiatives at WINDPOWER
There are a variety of ways that you can help make WINDPOWER 2012 more environmentally-friendly including:
- Carry a reusable water bottle with you to the conference. WINDPOWER is plastic water bottle free and we use compostable cups at water stations during the conference. However, using your own reusable water bottle is the greenest option.
- AWEA WINDPOWER® 2012 Conference & Exhibition is 100% wind powered and is the first ever WindMADE event in North American. Please tell your friends and family when you return home!
- Whenever possible, utilize electronic tools for things such as registration, reserving your booth, booking your hotel room, etc.... 1 ream (500 sheets) uses 6% of a tree (and those add up quickly when you have 15,000-20,000 attendees!). If you are able to go a 100% paperless for the conference we’d like to hear from you at email@example.com.
- Download the session handouts to your computer versus printing out hard copies. Please note that there will not be download stations available for your use at the conference.
- Use public transportation or carpool when possible, both from the airport to your hotel as well as around town. If taking a taxi, try to share with someone going in the same direction! The Marta System is easy to use from the airport. Click here for additional information.
- Instead of renting a car, take the conference shuttle buses provided to official conference hotels to and from the convention center which is a more efficient method of transporting larger groups of people. And saves you lots of money on hotel parking as well!
- Utilize recycle bins whenever possible for appropriate items such as bottles, cans, and paper. This includes at the convention center, around town, and in your hotels.
- Utilize composting bins during catered events at the conference. All bins will be labeled and just require that you follow the posted instructions. We have partnered with Levy Restaurants to create meals down to the container and serve-ware that are compostable, recyclable or reusable.
- Help us to not waste food. Only take what you know that you can eat. Any untouched food will be donated to a local food bank. Once the food has touched your plate, it must be composted.
- Participate in your hotel linen and towel re-use program and if you find the hotel is still replacing your linens or towels, make the hotel manager aware of the problem so it can be corrected.
- Instead of throwing away your conference bag or badge at the end of the event, drop them into the specific bag & badge recycling stations so AWEA can reuse, recycle or donate as appropriate. We have partnered with the GWCC to reuse, recycle or donate everything possible.
- If you are an exhibitor, participate in our recycling and donation program at the end of the show. We are partnering with the GWCC to donate or recycle everything possible postshow.
- Tell others you are participating in these activities and encourage them to join you!